Saturday, August 12, 2006

Dorie Greenspan Cancer

The Letter X: The Marquise de Merteuil to the Vicomte de Valmont

Are you mad at me, Vicomte? Or dead? or, which would be almost the same, do not live only for president? This woman who has returned the illusions of youth, we will also soon its ridiculous concerns. It is shy and slave, both were better love. You give up your happy recklessness. See, because, as driving without principles, leaving everything to chance, or rather, at whim. Have you forgotten that love is like medicine, but the art of helping nature? See who fought with their own weapons; but engreiré me because I fight a man on earth. We must yield herself, you say. Surely it must, so to be delivered like the others, but it with bad grace. But, that is delivered, it is necessary to start drinking. Oh, how this distinction is a ridiculous folly of love! I say love because you are in love, and talk differently, would be fool and his evil. Now, Mr. lover languishing, the women you have been violated if any do you think? For more desire that a woman has delivered, even to the urge to do so, it must always be a pretext, and can you have more comfortable which provides air to yield to force? As for me, I confess that one of the things that flatter me more, is alive and well as attack, in which everything is in order, but quickly, that does not put us in the pregnancy never have to repair ourselves a fumble that should be helpful, they can give the air of violence to which we attach to things, and flattered with address our two favorite passions: the glory of the defense and the pleasure of being defeated. I agree that this talent, more rare than you think, I've always liked, but has not seduced me, and sometimes has happened to me giving up only reward. So in our old tournament was the beauty prize value and skill.

But you, you will no longer be conducted as if afraid to hit. How long march in small workshops and crossing roads? My friend, when you want to arrive early, good post-horses and the real way forward. But let us leave this spot that gets me even more angry, as I am deprived of the pleasure of seeing. At least, write me more often and put me abreast of his progress. Well known that more than two weeks will this ridiculous adventure that takes him around the world neglects.

About carelessness, you look like the powers that be to find out the status of their sick friends, but never ask the answer. His last letter just wondering if the gentleman is dead. I have not responded and you have not cared more to know. Do not you know my love is your friend born? But rest assured, it is not dead, if so, would be in excess of pleasure, poor gentleman! How sweet it is! Which qualified for the love! How lively feel! I'm crazy about him and, seriously, perfect happiness is to be loved by me, makes me love him more and more.

The same day I wrote to you I'd try to break out how happy you did! However was meditating on the way to despair when I announced his visit. Be true or illusion never had seemed so friendly. He expected to spend two hours alone with me before he had opened my door to everybody. I said I had to leave, asked me where and I did not answer. He insisted, and I replied irritably: "Where you're not." Fortunately for him, he was made a statue with my answer, because if he had said a word would have inevitably followed a scene that had produced the break that I meditated. Admired for his silence eyes turned to him, for no other purpose, I assure you, than seeing what gesture did. I found lovely painted on his face that sadness deep and tender at once, which you yourself have agreed me it was very difficult to resist. The same cause produced the same effect and was defeated a second time. Since that time, only I took care to avoid that could prove my folly. "I go, I said with a sweet air for a matter concerning him, but do not ask me now. Dinner at my house. Again and then I will inform you." This found the words, but I would not allow him to speak. "I'm very fast, I said. Let me, and we'll see tonight", he kissed my hand and walked away.

immediately to repair what was done, or perhaps to get even myself, I decided to let you know what my house, which had no idea. I called my Victorina faithful and said: "I have a headache, for all I'm lying." Then the two of us staying, while she is disguised as a footman, I took the maid outfit, I sent a cab to the garden gate, he entered and departed. Arrivals at my house, that is the temple of love, I chose the most elegant house dress, is delicious and my invention, and nothing reveals, however, says all forms. I promise you a model for its president, when he has made it worthy to wear it.

After these preparations, while Victorine took care of other details, I read a chapter of The Sofa, a letter of Heloise and two stories of La Fontaine to remember the different tones that I wanted to take. Meanwhile my gentleman came to my house with the usual accuracy. My doorman would not let him go saying that I was indisposed. First incident. He then gave me a ticket, but not my hand as my rule of prudence, then it opens and is written by hand of Victorine: "At nine o'clock on the boulevard promenade, facing the Browns." He goes there, and he believes lacayito not know, and it was Victorine tells you that dismiss your car and follow him. All this so romantic I got out of helmets and this is always good. Finally arrived and the surprise and caused him a true love spell. To let him recovered a bit, we walked a while by the garden. Later I return to my room, and there saw two covered seats and a bed. We went into the cabinet, which was adorned with the greatest pleasure. There, half-sensitive, half by reflection, I held in my arms and I fell at his feet. "Oh, my dear friend, I said, to give yourself for this surprise, I accuse myself of Having A grieving, the appearance of anger, and an instant Having A single hidden inside my heart, forgive my absence, I purge the force of love ". And you judge the effect produced by this passionate speech. The happy gentleman picked me up and my pardon was sealed in the same couch that you and I so happily sealed and just as our eternal break.

Since we had to spend six hours together, and I had decided that this time would be equally delicious for him, I moderated their transports, and gave thanks and kind entertainment truce tenderness. Do not think I ever so carefully as to please or have never been so happy with myself. After one, and childlike, and reasonable, and tumultuous, and sensitive, and sometimes lewd, I was happy to contemplate how a sultan in his harem as I only played the role of different favorites. Indeed, his repeated gifts, but always received the same woman, they were provided with a new lover.

Finally, at daybreak had to be separated and said and did more to prove otherwise, had much need of it as little desire. At a time when we went out and we said goodbye I took the key from the mansion delicious and putting it in his hands said, "I did not have it for you, it's just that you have it, the sacrificer should have the house." With this skill I have learned to prevent reflections that might have aroused in him, seeing the owner of a house, which is always suspect. I'm sure it will not be served with another woman, and if I had the whim to go there without him I have double key. I wanted him by day to return, but I love him too much to want to end so soon. The excesses are good to those who then want to leave. He does not know that, but I know that its for both.

's three in the morning and I have written you a volume when he intended to write only a word. This pleasure produces the confidence of friendship, it makes you what I appreciate most.
But the gentleman is what I like.

at ..., August 12, 1917 ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment